Find out how to retrieve deleted files from a hard drive. File recovery is possible using the command prompt (hard). As an alternative, you can take advantage of a Black Friday discount on 4DDiG Data Recovery.
Good morning. I regrettably got sidetracked at work and accidentally formatted a hard drive that contained crucial work files. Does the hard disk have a way to restore erased data? I’m grateful.
Reddit user Francesca
Unfortunately, losing data from a hard drive is a relatively common issue that may happen to anyone and for any reason, including deletion by mistake, the existence of malware, or physical damage to the disk.
It’s typical to feel discouraged and stressed when data are removed from your hard drive, especially if they were critical files. It’s difficult to comprehend that important data may have been lost.
Thankfully, anything is now possible, including restoring deleted data from internal and external hard disks. In this essay, we will examine the typical issues brought on by data erasure and present some practical hard drive recovery techniques.
- Part 1. Common Reasons for Hard Drive Data Loss.
- Part 2. How to recover deleted data from a hard drive: 2 methods!
- Method 1. Recover hard drive data with 4DDiG Data Recovery.
- Method 2. Recover data from external hard drives using CMD.
Part 1. Common Reasons for Hard Drive Data Loss
It would be impossible to mention every possible reason why files could disappear from an internal or external hard disk because they are so varied. So, we’ve included the top three justifications for why it’s possible to remove data from a hard disk in this section.
1. Accidental file deletion
The main issue is accidental file deletion from the hard drive. Distraction or tiredness frequently cause us to make grave errors, like deleting a crucial file. The file might still be present in the Recycle Bin even after it has been removed from the Windows hard drive. However, if you unintentionally erase a file from an external hard drive, it will be lost forever. The only way to recover it in that situation is by using data recovery software like Tenorshare 4DDiG.
2. malware assaults
Your hard disk may experience data loss as a result of malware attacks like viruses, worms, or ransomware. The most potent virus can corrupt, erase, or encrypt data stored in internal and external memory. Security tools can be used to get rid of the malware. However, you’ll need data recovery software like Tenorshare 4DDiG to recover data from hard drives.
3. faulty operating systems:
Data loss from your hard drive might occur as a result of operating system problems, including sudden shutdowns or system issues. You can use Tenorshare 4DDiG’s built-in functionality to recover files even if Windows cannot start properly if the operating system cannot start.
Have any files on your hard disk been lost? To do?
It is vital to take into account a number of elements for deleted data recovery, such as data overwriting, file integrity, and the amount of time that has passed since deletion if you have lost files from your hard drive and wish to recover them. After removing the data, it is advised to immediately stop using the impacted hard disk to prevent inadvertent overwrites. This will maximize the likelihood of success. A file is “hidden” by the File System when it is erased from a hard drive, but it won’t actually disappear until it is replaced.
Part 2. How to recover deleted data from a hard drive: 2 methods!
There are numerous methods and programs available for retrieving erased data from hard drives. In this part, we’ll look at two techniques for retrieving lost data from Windows or an external HDD.
We will give comprehensive instructions on using the potent hard drive data recovery program 4DDiG Data Recovery. We’ll also look at another, more difficult method that recovers files from an external hard drive using Command Prompt (CMD).
Method 1: Recover data from the hard drive with 4DDiG Data Recovery
Using a professional tool like 4DDiG Data Recovery is an efficient technique to recover data from a hard drive. You may simply recover deleted files from any internal or external device using this software, which was created by Tenorshare. 4DDiG is a fantastic tool for recovering data from hard disk, SSD, USB, SD card, and other storage devices thanks to its user-friendly interface and strong scanning capabilities.
Here are the best features of 4DDiG:
- Recover data from PC, Notebook, and Mac.
- Dedicated algorithm to recover hard drive data.
- Data recovery from USB flash drives, SD cards, and external hard drives.
- Data recovery from a crashed PC, recycle bin, etc.
- Support various recovery scenarios; deletion, formatting, RAW, file corruption, damage, etc.
- It supports the recovery of more than 1000 types of data such as photos, videos, audio, documents, and more.
- A quick scan with 100% security.
How to recover data from a formatted hard drive with 4DDiG Windows Data Recovery:
Note. The guide is the same for macOS.
Step 1. Download and install 4DDiG Data Recovery. Windows or macOS.
Step 2. Launch it and select the location from which to recover lost files, in our example, we will select Windows (C:). Then click [Scan].
Step 3. Select the file type you want to recover; Photos, Videos, Documents, Audio. Click [Scan selected file types].
Note. You can pause or stop the scan if you have located your lost files.
Step 4. Wait for the software to complete the scan for a full overview of the available options.
- In the left panel, you can select a “Tree View” or “File Type”.
- At the top, you can click “Filter” for a custom search.
- Finally, at the top right, you will find the “Search” field to find a file by name.
Step 5. Finally, select the files you want to recover and click [Recover].
- It is the panel where the recovered file types are listed.
- You can view the recovered files in detail
- You can preview the file.
- You can save it on your PC.
Important! In order to prevent overwriting the lost or damaged files and making recovery impossible, avoid saving new data in the same area.
Black Friday Special from Tenorshare!
Utilize the 4DDiG Data Recovery Black Friday special offer to purchase the program at a discount. For more information about the offer, go to the 4DDiG website.
Method 2: Data recovery from external hard drive using CMD
The use of Command Prompt (CMD) is another often employed technique for recovering data from hard drives. However, there are several serious disadvantages to this approach. Data recovery commands and procedures must be thoroughly understood before using the Command Prompt. Additionally, it can further harm already-existing files and does not promise total recovery of erased files.
So, if you’re not sure, I recommend using 4DDiG Data Recovery to quickly and completely automatically recover data from an external hard drive.
- Connect the PC to the external hard drive.
- To open the “Run” window, simultaneously hit Windows + R.
- Press OK after entering “cmd” in the text field. It will launch the Command Prompt (CMD).
- In the Command Prompt window, type the following command and press Enter:
- chkdsk X: /f (Replace “X” with the letter assigned to your external drive.)
- After the scan is complete, type the following command and press Enter:
- attrib -h -r -s X:\*.* /s /d (Replace “X” with the correct letter of the external drive.)
After running the command, check the indicated external hard drive and find a new folder with the restored files. There may be files with the extension “.chk”.
- If you find files with the “.chk” extension, rename them and change the extension to a format accessible to your files, such as “.doc” for Word documents or “.jpg” for images.
- Save the renamed files to the desired location on your computer.
Please note that if your files are lost or permanently deleted, you may need to use specialized data recovery tools such as Tenorshare 4DDiG Windows Data Recovery.
Although recovering deleted hard drive data may seem like a difficult undertaking, you may recover your important files with the correct tools and techniques. In this post, we looked at the typical issues with data deletion and provided two techniques for hard drive data recovery.
You may quickly and simply recover deleted files by using a data recovery program like 4DDiG Windows Data Recovery. 4DDiG gives you the finest alternative to recover your lost data thanks to its simple interface and strong scanning skills. The command prompt (CMD) included with Windows 10 and 11 is another option. However, this procedure demands extensive technical expertise with Windows in order to retrieve hard disk data. Therefore, avoid taking chances and put your faith in 4DDiG as soon as you can, which is also offered at a very favorable price with Black Friday discounts.